This article covers the manual rankings data import process. However, we can also automatically import rankings from a large number of other rank trackers.
What kind of data can I manually import?
You can use the process below to import historical rankings data from:
- Any rank-tracking service, as long as you've formatted the data to match our system's requirements (see more on this below).
- An existing AgencyAnalytics campaign. Simply export the data from one campaign, then import it into another using the instructions further down this page.
Data is imported by uploading a .ZIP file, which contains a series of .CSV files. This article will walk you through the process. All instructions must be followed exactly or you may receive error messages.
How to import data
Data is contained in separate files for each metric. You'll need to create a separate .CSV file for each metric in the bullet list below, then add each of those .CSVs to a .ZIP file, which you will then upload.
These metrics are currently available for import, and are displayed with the name that should be used for their associated .CSV file. File names MUST be in the format described here:
- Bing Ranking --> bing_ranking.csv
- Bing Ranking URL --> bing_ranking_url.csv
- Google Ranking --> google_ranking.csv
- Google Ranking URL --> google_ranking_url.csv
- Google Mobile Ranking --> google_mobile_ranking.csv
- Google Mobile Ranking URL --> google_mobile_ranking_url.csv
- Google Local Ranking --> google_local_ranking.csv
- Google Local Ranking URL --> google_local_ranking_url.csv
- Competition --> competition.csv
- Results --> results.csv
- Volume --> volume.csv
- Cost Per Click --> cost_per_click.csv
If you're not using any of the above metrics, you can import the ZIP file without them.
Here's how to set out each of the above CSV files.
A location field must be included in each .CSV file for every keyword. Location should be in the format of "city,state,country" (or simply "state,country" or "country", depending on the location that you're tracking).
For example, a location can be "united states", "california,united states", or "los angeles,california,united states".
Multiple different locations are allowed in one .CSV file. Simply put your desired location beside each keyword. To apply different locations to the same keyword, simply list the keyword multiple times, each time with a different location.
All dates must be in the YYYY-MM-DD format, for example "2018-12-31".
Keyword rankings should be a number from 1 to 100. A rank of zero ("0") indicates "not found". A hyphen ("-") in the ranking cell indicates that the keyword was not being tracked on that specific date.
Make sure that the file structure for the ZIP file that you will upload to AgencyAnalytics is as follows:
- .CSV files containing your actual data, named as described above
- Folder named "keywords" which contains all of the .CSV files
- .ZIP file which contains the "keywords" folder, with all letters in lowercase
Then, navigate to the campaign where you wish to import the data, click "Settings" on the bottom of your left side menu.
Note: Only the admin user on your account will have the import/export options available.
In the settings window, click the button that says "Import a Campaign", then browse for your .ZIP file, and click "Open".
Your data will then be imported automatically, and will appear immediately.
You can also import integration settings.
Note, however, that these integration files cannot be created manually or pulled in from competing platforms. Integration settings files can only be created using the bulk export process.
Integration settings files must be placed in a folder named "integrations", in the root of the ZIP file you're importing.
If you are importing both integration settings and rankings data, this must be done at the same time:
Place both the "integrations" folder and the "keywords" folder inside a .ZIP file, and use the instructions above to import the data.